Sunday, December 5, 2010

Eiffel Tower - Enjoying its Magnificence

November 20, 2010 was our first official tour date in Paris France. We would be having our first real taste of the City, according to Francois, our unofficial tour guide. I was raring to go, woked up at 5am but thought it was too early as it was still dark outside. Went back to sleep. I guess I overslept as I woke up at 7am. I was surprised to find out as I checked out from the window that everything was still dark. Francois was quick to explain that sun does not shine until after 8am.

CIMG1731

A great Paris France city tour is not without a hearty breakfast. Good thing our host was just too willing to prepare for us fresh croissant, petit pain au chocolate (which is actually soft bread with chocolate filling) , pain au raisin ( bread with raisins) , some butter, jam and fruit yoghurt (I notice the yoghurt brand was Yoplait, same as what we buy in Tel Aviv) We enjoyed some nice hot coffee afterwards.

Eiffel Tower Tour

CIMG1817

9 am, The sun was up, out and hot so instead of going first to the Phil Embassy as planned, we went straight to the bus station that would take us to the Eiffel tower site. We got off in front of the Trocadero and walked towards the Eiffel tower.

CIMG1748

Surrounding and complimenting the tower are expanse of green grass, trees in autumn colors, buildings (including the Trocadero) with wonderful facade. Indeed, it becomes all the more imposing as you go near it. I asked about hotels near Eiffel Tower. Francois quickly suggests Hotel Pullman, Hotel Mercure and Derby Alma Hotel, few of the most popular hotels Eiffel Tower.

Finally I found myself beneath this great wonder of an iron structure - and it was simply unbelievable. Pictures. I have got to take pictures to prove to friends and family I was here.

CIMG1774

While in line to buy our tickets, a street vendor caught our attention. In tow were Eiffel tower souvenirs of different forms, colors (lights!) and sizes. He must have noticed our interest in his goods so he displayed some tenacity in trying to sell to us. I asked the price of a glass miniature Eiffel tower with changing colors - 10 euros! I was about to hand to him the amount when Francois cautioned me that it was too expensive . But just as when we were almost at the caisse (cashier), the vendor must have realized that we have no time to haggle with him so he offered it with a much lesser price, down to 5 euros. Immediately, we took two.

CIMG1746

We queued for quite some time and finally got our tickets in 20 minutes. I was told that we had a convenient time considering that during the summer season, it will probably take one hour to the whole morning at the most just to get tickets to tour the Eiffel Tower. I notice security is tight - there is one checking the line and another within the entrance of the tower. There are two ways to climb the Eiffel tower, via the elevator and by foot! Of course, you can correctly guess what we chose.

CIMG1764

We climbed up to the second level and realized immediately the purpose of the tower - to see Paris in its entirety. Magnificent. One can marvel at all the amazing sights of the city. I saw the Sacred Heart church, the Arc de Triomphe, La Defense, Concorde and many more. Paris is simply magical when seen from the Eiffel Tower.

CIMG1786

I could have stayed all day at the tower but we only had the morning to spend on the site and needed to proceed to our next city destination.

CIMG1797

Reluctantly I followed them towards the descending elevator. Wait, did I have pictures? I got to have enough. Made sure I had for myself some video clips too. This visit of the tower might not happen again. But then I am praying otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment