Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My First Night in Paris France

November 19, 2010 It was 2 PM when our El Al plane landed at the Charles de Gaulle Airport. The weather in Paris was cold and cloudy, further dampening my already messed-up spirits. Francois, a dear friend and three-time visitor of Tel Aviv, was there to welcome us. In an instant, he engaged me about all the possible wonderful things to do in Paris, France. However, fresh from a restless flight; knowing what to expect from our Parisian visit was the last thing on my mind.

CIMG1666

I realized that getting inside Paris was much easier than going out of Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport. At CDG, there were no questions coming from the officer at the booth; except his query on when our connection flight date would be. It was definitely a breeze, and for this I had a sigh of relief.

CIMG1667

Francois Versele somewhat superfluously offered information on Charles de Gaulle, its gargantuan size, and unique sun rays shape. Even the airport workers' frequent strikes! However, I just couldn't seem to care less because my mind is still focused on Tel Aviv - I was missing Jaffa dearly.

CIMG1664

We proceeded to take some snack at the CDG Airport's Mcdonald's Restaurant. I went with Francois at the counter and checked at the prices. Six euros for a Big Mac meal. Hmmm...around 30 shekels, so more or less the same price as in Israel.

After the snack, we rode the regional train to Paris. Francois urged me to look beyond the panoramic window for my first views of the French landscape. Chalets, clusters of buildings, a stadium, and farms. I begun to wonder where Eiffel tower is.

CIMG1668

Patience, I was told as the imposing landmark is found at the city proper. Picturesque views and all, the train ride was unfortunately giving me discomfort because my left leg had been aching since my flight.

From the train station, we went straight to Francois' house located at the 16th district. It is one of the premier areas in Paris - I was told. His was a small apartment, yet the cost of having and maintaining it is expensive enough to afford two large ones outside the metro.

Woe is me. I am still wailing about how I miss Tel Aviv.

CIMG1674

While waiting for our first Paris night out at 9 PM, we went to check on the vicinity. We passed by Rue de Passy, a popular shopping area, where we ate jambon fromage ham and cheese sandwich 4 euros in a boulangerie. We chanced upon the Philippine Embassy located just a few blocks from the apartment.

Somehow, despite this sickening (no other way to describe it) homesickness - home being Israel, I was actually looking forward to the things to do in Paris, France. I'd really like to make the most of my six-day stay here.

No comments:

Post a Comment